Friday, February 14, 2014

When comfort doesn't go along with change

It had been days of sad news, if not for most of my friends in facebook, at least for me. Loved ones passing. Rumors spreading around causing people to speculate and out of fear or readiness decides if not planning to update their resumes. And when you're part of the situation most of the time you find it difficult to say something, well, hopeful. (And when I thought I can find one, my favorite team Ginebra lost. Oh well, that's another story.)

It's never easy, really. I had the opportunity to experience both which made me a better person. I had the role of providing comfort in my calls everyday whenever things do not go their way or there's nothing that I can really do for them. There were times that I couldn't find the right words to say and most of the time the trick is just to listen and let them vent. You realized that all these people need is someone to listen. Then when you thought listening is difficult thing to do, wait til you experience it first hand - much more difficult, "and more".

About this time last year, I was hopeful. Very hopeful and expectant. I thought, what could go wrong with what I had planned? I mean, I prayed about it - a LOT. I fasted and prayed for it. I worked hard for it. I have a supportive supervisors and friends. What could possibly go wrong with my promotion that was just a month to go? You see, I had established my call flow, followed my supervisor's coaching and there's nothing wrong about my desire! In my mind, once I get that "rank" there are more doors of opportunity for me. I can really define a "career" and climbing up the ladder like most people aspire. There's nothing wrong with what I planned, with what I wanted.


The things that went wrong

Plan. Focus. But there's something that I didn't forsee -- CHANGE. CHANGES. Which I was not ready. I didn't plan to be ready for it. As the month that I look forward to unfolded, my supervior had to be replaced by another since she was tasked to train new hires while the replacement can only stay for a month or two to take another job. New boss meant  I need to adapt to another coaching style. As I was about to, our team had to be dissolved and would be distributed to other teams.  I was given to a team where I have a slim chance of getting the morning shift to die for (I work in a BPO company where our account bids shifts based on your team's attendance). What about morning shift Lord? What about the ministries? What about our band's gig? Series of unfavorable events led me to ask God, "What about this and that Lord?"

As I process the situation, I thought I still have one left, THAT "rank" that I was praying about. Maybe because He took me out of my comfort zone, He would give me this to cheer me up. Hehe! But to my surprise, the adjustments that were made didn't go my way. All of the changes went against my stats. I found myself sighing one night as a went home from mid shift. "Lord, when it rains it pours and now it floods."

I almost gave up but I can't. I just can't.

The days that followed felt like dragging myself to work. I bribed myself just for me to be convinced that I needed to stay. And it was good that I allowed myself to be convinced 'cause I'm gonna be in trouble when the bills come! Everyday, I asked God why? Everyday it hurt because I prayed for it. I prayed for it REAL HARD but I didn't get it. And as it hurt, I kept telling Him,  "Lord, I don't understand why these things are happening. Why things do not seem to go my way but I trust in You. I believe that You are sovereign and You know what's best for me. I don't undertand the "why's" now but I trust in You."

I remember in one of our Sunday services, I was reminded by,

For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened.  Or which one of you, if his son asks him for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a serpent?  If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask him!"
                                                                                    Matthew 7:8-11 ESV
As I process it in my quiet time, I realized it's a better reason for me not to give up than just it pays the bills. Whenever I remember how frustrated and dissappointed I am, I was reminded by this truth, "If I believe that God is good and that He is my Father and that He loves me, will he not give it to me if it will be good for me? And if it's good why will He not give it to me?" Maybe it's not yet time for me. Maybe I am not yet ready. Maybe here. Maybe there. but I was assured by these:

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, 
 neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
For as the heavens are higher than the earth, 
 so are my ways higher than your ways
  and my thoughts than your thoughts."

 Isaiah 55: 8-9 ESV

" For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare[b] and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you.  You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.  I will be found by you, declares the Lord, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the Lord, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile. "

 Jeremiah 29:11-14 ESV

With promise such as these, I just can't give up. I just can't update my resume and submit it to other companies when God has not confirmed anything for me than trusting in Him ( Thank God for Baruch's life).

Fast forward and Answer to my "Why's?"

"And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,[a] for those who areB called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:28 ESV

By God's grace, I was transferred to another team with better chance of getting morning shift, good ol' friends and my mommy Beth and more around August. The supervisors whom I had for the last four years had always been supportive and understanding. And come shift bid, I got back to morning shift (after months of mid shift) which was totally unexpected since we where 4th to pick (God's abundant grace at work!). I had better scores.
I was able to get favorable schedule epecially when I voluntered in our Single' Leadership Conference last November and more. When I look at what He had provided in exchange of what He took from me, I realized I was blessed even more.

When 2014 started, I got transferred to another team and supervisor (Another God's abundant grace at work). I got an all time low VOCM -- the lowest in my team. But this time, I was prepared. I am ready. I am ready not for the change but READY to Trust God for whatever changes that will happen. And as I remind myself to trust God through Jesus who strenthens me, God had encouraged me by this time turning the changes in my favor! And the bonus is I now understood the why's of last year.

If I got the "rank" last year, I may never keep my what I have right now - work schedule, flexibility etc. If He gave it, I could have had the glory for myself but since He didn't, the glory is ALL HIS. I am enjoying more time at home and friends. More time to study His word (By God's grace I attending BSF, which is one of the items I prayed last prayer and fasting week) and God willing to fulfill His purpose for me - to be a servant-leader (By God' grace).


I don't know where you are right now. Maybe you are experiencing CHANGES in your life right now. Maybe you lost someone so dear to you-- a friend or family member. Or lost your job or something important to you. Had broken up with someone just before Valentine' day or you are on a difficult situation where you cannot imagine how this will ever be resolved or stop.  My friend, I have good news for you. God cares for you sooo much that I have to rent a PC just to share this to you because He knows that You need to know He loves you. You need not to know the 'why's right now but ask God to tell you how you can overcome this. He's just a prayer a way.  You may not be able to relate to my post but I know God wants you to know that Jesus is all that You need RIGHT NOW. He can give you not what you want but what you need "and more".


"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.  For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too." 2 Corinthians 1:3-5 ESV

No comments: